YOUR PRACTICE TEST IS BASED ON
THESE READING SELECTIONS.
THESE READING SELECTIONS.
Directions Answer the following questions about “David’s Haircut.”
1. What is the genre of David’s Haircut?
A. Science Fiction
B. Historical Fiction
C. Realistic Fiction
2. The indirect characterization in lines 8-13 show David’s father is
3. Lines 21-33 provide examples of
4. We can infer, based on lines 34-39, that David is
A. a child
5. We can tell this story is written from a third-person point of view because
A. The narrator is a character in the story.
B. The narrator is part of the conflict.
C. The narrator is not a character the story.
D. The word “he” is in the story.
6. Which of the following lines helps you infer David’s father is not arguing
with Mr. Samuels in lines 43-45?
A. “So I hear,” his father replies.
B. Finally, David’s dad looks up from his newspaper.
C. “They don’t stay young for long do they, kids,” Mr. Samuels declares.
D, “At least double the price," said Mr. Samuels, winking at David.
7. In lines 52-54, whom is David seeing in the mirror?
A. his father
B. another customer
D. his younger brother
8. Lines 59-60 contains
A. a simile
B. a metaphor
9. The author indirectly characterizes David’s father in lines 74-76 through
A. a description of the way he looks
B. a revealing of his inner thoughts
C. his actions with his son
D. the ways other people talk about him
Directions: Answer the following questions about “The Bully.”
10. Which of the following lines reveals a first person point of view?
A. How many times that sorry guy had made fun of my big ears in
front of the girls in my class?
B. She and her husband immediately began talking.
C. Tony had accidentally hit several plates, knocking them off the table as he was trying to get into his wheelchair.
D. The waitress ran over and started picking up the broken dishes.
11. Which of the following details suggests the narrator might know the man
in the booth?
A. The woman is eating with the man in the booth.
B. The narrator tells the woman his name.
C. The woman knows Roger’s name and his former high school.
D. Tony is much thinner than he was in high school.
12. The author uses a simile in line 28 to
A. show the thought came quickly
B. show the thought disappeared quickly
C. show Tony is approaching the narrator
D. show the narrator drank the coffee quickly
13. Based on his comments in lines 32-37, we can infer the narrator is
A. self-conscious about being in front of girls
B. ready for revenge
C. recalling negative memories
D. embarrassed about how he treated Tony in the past
14. The reader can infer, based on lines 32-37, that in high school, Roger had a
A. man vs. nature conflict
B. man vs. self conflict
C. man vs. society conflict
D. man vs. man conflict
15. Based on the narrator’s actions in lines 57-64, we can infer
A. he has forgiven Tony
B. he is embarrassed
C. he is in a hurry
D. he is anxious to confront Tony
16. Based on Tony’s words in lines 72 and 78-79, we can infer
A. Tony is making fun of the narrator.
B. Tony has changed.
C. Tony wishes the best for the narrator.
D. Tony is angry with the narrator.
17. Through Roger’s actions, the author characterizes him as
18. In lines 80-81 Roger is
A. comparing their experiences
B. disagreeing with Tony
C. contrasting their experiences
D. embarrassing Tony in front of his wife
Directions: Use your knowledge of vocabulary to answer the following questions.
19. Which underlined phrase best defines the use of the suffix “y” in the word “creaky” from line 24 of “David’s Haircut”?
A. with a creak
B. characterized by creaking
C. full of creaking
D. capable of creaking
20. Which phrase best defines the use of the suffix “less” in the word “noiseless” from line 57 of “David’s Haircut”?
A. subtracting noise
B. with noise removed
C. without noise
D. the characteristic of noise
21. Which of the following best defines the use of the prefix “inter” in the word “interstate” from line 86 of “The Bully”?
Directions: Use context clues in “David’s Haircut”
22. In line 2, the narrator says he reaches “instinctively” for his dad’s hand. Instinctively means something
A. is done carefully
B. is done excitedly
C. is done without thinking
D. is rarely done
23. In line 8, the narrator’s father says it’s time to get his “mop” cut. Mop means the narrator’s hair is
C. long and messy
D. greasy and unhealthy
24. In line 54, the narrator says he “steals” glances at the barber. Based on context clues, we can guess this action is done
25. Based on context clues in lines 1-2 and 69-70, we can guess “zenith” in line 70 means
B. a shining
D. highest point
Revising and Editing
Directions: Answer the questions using the Revising and Editing text.
26. To correct the capitalization error in sentence 3, change the Devil’s Arithmetic to
A. The Devil’s Arithmetic
B. The Devil’s arithmetic
C. The devil’s arithmetic
D. the devil’s arithmetic
27. Which line contains the writer’s thesis statement?
A. Sentence One
B. Sentence Two
C. Sentence Four
D. Sentence Five
28. In sentence 8, how does the author signal that part of the quotation has been omitted?
29. How should the citation in line 9 be corrected?
B. (Yolen 23).
C. [Yolen 23].
D. [Yolen 23.]
30. Which does the writer use to strengthen the connection in line 13?
A. a quotation
C. a metaphor
31. What is another name for “context”?
A. topic sentence
B. plot details
32. Which sentence in the conclusion restates the thesis?
A. sentence 15
B. sentence 16
C. sentence 18
D. sentence 19
Grammar: Identify the following sentences as simple, compound, complex, or compound- complex.
33. When David steps out of the front door he is blinded for a moment by the white, fizzing sunlight and reaches instinctively for his dad's hand.
34. Occasionally he steals glances at the barber as he works.
35. For a moment he wants to reach down and gather up the broken blonde locks, to separate them from the others, but he does not have time.
36. The youngster is excited and grabs his dad's hand.
37 All of a sudden I heard the sound of dishes breaking, so I spun around to see what had happened.
38. Would I even consider that, or could I even consider that?
39. He will be the only friend that I have from my high school days.